Friday 15 February 2013

Bath Uni - Leaflet design concept

Prior to our next meeting with the Bath Uni guys, I thought I could make the client/designer relationship run even smoother by presenting them with a mockup of a handout that they could give to people at a science fair. I thought that a concertina design would work well, so set about mocking it up with a bunch of placeholder text and images:



My idea was that the orange side would feature big bold graphical symbols for the four distinct areas that the Bath Uni people wanted to raise awareness of: Resource Scarcity, Attitudes to Chemicals, Fuel of the Future and Bio Plastics. The symbols themselves are still placeholder at this stage (I wouldn't dream of using the actual Apple logo to represent an apple!). The white side on the reverse would hold more detailed information about the exciting research carried out at Bath Uni.

I figured that if I set up this structure, they could take a look and see that there is not actually much writing required by them. They just need to fill in the gaps. I have dealt with clients in the past who are very reluctant to give you content until they can really see exactly how it is going to be used.

Andy Penn also designed a really nice "Little Book of Facts" which featured some lovely cutout sections. I am not so sure how this will work on a production scale though, as getting about 10 pages die-cut would cost a fortune. The Bath Uni guys really liked both ideas though, so it is up to them how much they want to spend. I think it is good to offer a variety of solutions to suit a variety of budgets, as we have not been given an actual fixed budget up front (I would assume that it is pretty small though).

No comments:

Post a Comment